Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Ongoing battle with an Empty Wallet

I should have got my last Unemployment check in the mail yesterday, but I didn't. It should be coming today instead because of the holiday, but it's not. In Fact it hasnt even been processed yet because I didn't attend a meeting for a Job Fair today that was required of me. The Job Fair is today mind you and they couldnt possibly know that I had no intentions of going and just assumed I wasnt and decided to hold my check as a result of my assumed not going. I would love to talk to someone at the Department of Unemployment and explain to them that I actually have a job now that I started last Monday therefore I do not need to attend said Job Fair meeting, but that's not an option. It's not an option because the Automated person I get when I call the Unemployment line tells me that there is an unusually heavy volume of calls today and then disconnects me, which makes me wonder why I don't have the choice of waiting. If your at all familiar with the Unemployment line then you know that it takes about 5 minutes of unnecessary announcements to even get to the part where you start waiting so I would much rather wait in excess of thirty minutes than to have to repeatedly call and go through the obligatory process of getting to the disconnect part again.
So my car is broken down and has been for about 3 weeks now and will be for probably another 2 weeks until I get my first paycheck from my new job. I have been using public transportation to get to South Station which is right near where my job is at. I walk, take the bus, take the train and then walk again to get to an from work everyday and surprisingly it hasn't really been bothering me all that much except for when I get off the bus at night and have to walk home but thats only because there is a rapist/burglar on the loose in my neighborhood. Hopefully they catch him soon before I have to start carrying a steak knife because I can't afford a crappy pocket knife because of the stupid unemployment check issue. If I have to carry a steak knife the chances of me reaching in my bag for a cigarette and slicing my hand open is far greater than the chances of actually warding off a potential rapist. So it's either get my car fixed or buy a knif e or get raped and as you know I can't pay for either of the two. So my Question is.. If I get raped can I hold the Department of Unemployment responsible?

No comments: